Meter Upgrade and Replacement
Superior Water, Light & Power is upgrading all the meters in approximately 500 Billings Park locations as part of its Advanced Metering Infrastructure project. Advanced Metering Infrastructure is commonly referred to as AMI.
To ensure the meter exchange process is completed quickly and efficiently, the Billings Park area has been divided into 10 sections with each section having a designated week for the upgrades. The upgrades will be done between August and October 2016.
SWL&P technicians will need access to your home to make the gas and water meter upgrades and appointments will be scheduled for times when an adult is available at the house. We encourage you to make an appointment during the week our technicians are scheduled to be in your area. Please see FAQs to learn how you can schedule an appointment.
We appreciate your cooperation and are eager to share this improved technology that will help us to better serve you.
Why does SWL&P need to upgrade my meters?
SWL&P has added new technology that improves efficiency of the meters. These new meters will:
- Deliver reads more quickly and limit the need for our technicians to enter your yard or home.
- Help eliminate estimated meter reads when access has not been possible.
- Improve meter readers' safety by limiting their exposure to potential hazards or obstacles including locked gates, tripping or falling hazards or pets.
How can I schedule an appointment to get my meter upgraded?
Call the dedicated scheduling hotline at 877-642-2373 and speak with a SWL&P scheduling specialist who will work with you to find a date and time that works for you.
What can I expect to happen at my property during the meter upgrade?
SWL&P technicians will:
Replace your water and gas utility meters (electric may be exchanged at another time).
- Replace or install an advanced meter reading box to the outside of your home.
- Most customers already have one of these small blue or black boxes on their homes.
- If installing one of these boxes for the first time, technicians will run wire from the water meter inside the building to the box outside.
- Perform a gas pressure test and a cross connection inspection of the water system to ensure your systems are operating safely. Click here to learn more about the cross connection inspection.
Why does SWL&P need access to my home to upgrade my meters?
- Most water meters and some gas meters are housed inside the property.
The SWL&P technicians will need to perform necessary safety and health tests, which include:
- Pressure testing your gas system.
- Re-lighting your pilot light to prevent gas leaks.
- Inspecting any water boiler systems for backflow into your drinking water (cross connection inspection).
Who will perform the upgrade?
SWL&P meter technicians will perform all upgrades. They will be in marked SWL&P trucks or vans. All technicians will also carry an ID with a code that authorizes them to do utility work. Customers can request to see this identification at any time.
How long will the upgrade take?
We will schedule upgrade appointments in 2-hour blocks of time, but the meter exchanges and upgrades are usually completed within 30-45 minutes, on average.
Is there anything I should do to prepare for the upgrade?
You can help our technicians by:
- Contact us to set up your meter upgrade appointment by calling one our scheduling specialists at 877-642-2373.
- Ensuring that an adult (someone older than 18) is home during your scheduled upgrade appointment.
- Ensuring there is a clear path to all meters by removing obstructions such as outdoor furniture, storage boxes, etc.
How will SWL&P keep me informed about the upcoming upgrade?
SWL&P will notify each household by letter 3-4 weeks before your designated week for upgrade. You may also be contacted by other means, such as a phone call, postcard, or automated messages, when we are in your area.
We are excited to bring you this new technology to serve you even better. Thank you for being a valued customer of Superior Water, Light & Power.