What is Hydrant Flushing?
A part of the required annual maintenance program for water distribution systems.
Why is Flushing Necessary?
- To ensure continual, adequate supply of potable water for our customers.
- To meet Public Safety needs through fire protection.
- To confirm that water supply systems - including valves and hydrants are in good working order
What to expect during Hydrant Flushing
Discolored water as a result of removing any particles and minerals that may have settled in the water main.
- This discoloration only affects the appearance of the water and does not affect water quality.
- No health hazards are associated with the discolored water that results from flushing.
- Temporary reduced water pressure in areas where flushing is being conducted, and potential irregular pressure if flushing is being conducted in nearby areas.
See the map below for current/planned hydrant flushing activity.